Just an update........I know most are salivating and wanting to see what I've done. Since my last post I've done nothing....NADA....ZIP. I've been working on my flintlock pistol re-do. It's almost done....and I'll post pics when I have it back together!
Well, I got around to drilling out the stock in order to install the aluminum pillars. I cut the pillars to size.....rear one needed a vertical piece removed for the trigger to clear, then I mixed up some Accraglas and bedded in the pillars. It's a "pick 'n poke" at project. One day I drill two holes....next day I measure and cut pillars.....a few days later I bed the pillars. Now to carve out some wood so I can bed the action. But here's where I'm at now:
Now for the beginning of stock shaping, rasping, smoothing, scraping, or in general ......giving that fat original a diet. The wrist needs flutes so I put some in that....and the forend is to thick so it's gonna get a good .200 to .300 skinner.
Working slowly. Rasping is faster than filing than sanding. I only have so much "juice" per day and I don't work in it every day.
Right side.....still more shaping to do.
Left side did a lot of shaping, still need to fine tune and sand more.
You see that red "splotch" on the right hand side? That's in the wood as it was in the left side.....same spot.....but rasping worked out the left side. I can only assume that if I kept going deeper on the left, it would re-appear. I have no idea what it is. The stock is (I think) birch. Birch is a PITA to stain well. But......I'll give it a go.
Further along (or is it farther along?) that the above pics. I have both sides of the grip to about 98%. Need to get to the finer grits of sandpaper and a little more shaping of the grip, and the buttstock.
I got back to my Savage project today.....just for something to keep busy during this crazy hot day. I have been comparing the Savage stock dimensions agains my Winchester model 88 as I like the fit of the M88.
This pic is the same one as above.....but what I did this morning was compare the "nose" of the Savage to the M88. Cutting the "nose" back (see pic) makes for a more comfortable alignment of my trigger finger to the trigger.
Rainy day and almost got all my stuff ready to go to "Bear Camp!" A buddy of mine ask me to come up near Tionesta to hunt the old-guy and disabled permit guy bear rifle.
So since the rain is here and I'm not a fan of archery in the rain.....I have the stock sanded down to 150 grit. I'm going to 180-gr next and then a final with 220-gr. I plan on applying a stain to it.....then a finish of a True-Oil type. My only concern is I think this is Beech wood (Beechnut) and sometimes these woods take stain well.....and sometimes not. When Savage originally finished these stocks they would mix a color into the varnish (or whatever they used) to get the stocks to a consistent brown. But I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
I cut back the stock "nose" and re-cut the flutes to provide for a more generous grip and so my trigger finger lay naturally on the trigger instead of having to "bend" my finger to get my finger tip on the trigger. Should work well.
Minwax and other manufacturers make a pre-stain for softwoods that helps with the blotchyness. It works pretty well on pine but I've never made anything out of beech so can't comment on how well it will work on it. Looks awesome so far!
Thanks Gent's. I've slimmed off a pretty good chunk of wood for this rifle. And it's chambered (now) in 6.5x55 Swede. The recoil will be nice for a young hunter....and I have three grandsons and two granddaughters. I can only hope that at least one of 'em will find a joy in archery, 22-LR, and hunting. The 6.5x55 has all the down range energy of a .308, with half of the felt recoil.
That makes for a eaiser intro into high power rifle shooting.
"Nutmeg Brown"is the name that is on this stain. I can see why some who want perfect stain on wood complain about beechwood. I dunno how it will look by tomorrow when it's dried for 24 hours. I know the clear finish I put on it will also change the look of the stock. This piece of factory wood isn't a "Class 1" piece so beautiful grain isn't there. But......I like it more than the factory finish and it will be a bang around hunting rifle!!! I'll post more as I progress.
Ok.....after 24 hours the stock was still really red. I mean it was REALLY RED So, instead of having a red beacon out in the woods of Pennsylvania.....even fuzzy pic's would not hide who it was........I took my Aqua-Fortis off the shelf and did an application. Then with the heat gun, I hit the AQ hot and got the brownish color to come thru. I think after the final coatings of clear finish, it will come out ok. Anyway.....here's the post AQ application for comparison: